Saturday, January 19, 2013

Igloo Building

This week in my class, we continued to learn about Arctic animals. Technically, we have a different topic each week, but I often find we've barely scratched the surface in one week. This week the theme was people in the Arctic, so we talked a bit about that, but also continued with the animals.

I feel like I am finally doing some of the not-so-easy, kinda-messy activities this year, which I have always thought about in the past but never gotten to. I think it helps that I am working in a very strong team with my assistant and the neighboring class teacher and her assistant. It was her idea to do sugar cube igloos. I wasn't sure how it would work out, but it was great! I don't think every child had a chance to try it, so I'd like to have the cubes out and available during centers. Our problem: almost never any time for self-selected centers! Also, this week our theme has changed, but I think we'll continue to talk about the Arctic for the whole month. I really dislike changing the theme every WEEK! Not enough time to get into the topic.

So, we did this project Thursday afternoon when both 4-5 classes are together, and we had the kids work in pairs or teams of three. It was great to see how they worked together, and how they tried on their own and then sometimes asked for tips or help. I tried not to get too involved.

First we watched this BBC video about an Inuit boy learning to build an igloo.

Next, the children had opportunities to make sugar cube igloos as well as a bigger igloo. We had been collecting empty tissue boxes (the rectangular ones we use in school) and realized they'd be great for building! We were thinking about covering them to make them look nicer, but the kids really could care less, I think! Also, we realized that we need a lot more in order to make some structures the children can really get inside. Unfortunately I only got photos of the sugar igloos.





Hopefully we'll find more ways to incorporate this kind of creativity in our classrooms this year!


No comments:

Post a Comment