Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Happy New Year!

Yesterday was our first day back at school after a long two-and-a-half-week break. Wow! I was actually really ready to be back to work and SO glad to see the kids. It's amazing how much some of them have grown over the holidays!

I guess I am making a New Year's resolution to write more in this blog! And, if I realize I have nothing good to post, then I'm not doing my best as a teacher, right? So, I did start off the new year with a burst of energy and happiness, which I hope can last...

New Year Craft

I decided to do my usual New Year craft. I have been doing it so many years now that I can't exactly remember, but I think it was my idea. Well, anyway, here's the one I made last year:



First, I gave the children a template of 2013. I showed them the one I made last year to inspire more creative coloring rather than just solid colors. You can see how they colored here:



Next, the kids cut out the numbers. Some kids did need some help, but I was actually quite impressed with them, as these are difficult shapes to cut. Most of them could do it when I prompted them, and I even taught them how to cut out the circle inside the zero by folding it in half. 

Next, the kids glued the 2013 onto black paper. I had written the number on our blackboard, so that they could use it as a reference. I had a couple of backwards 3's, which we fixed, but mostly they did great!



The last part was more my work than the kids: Fireworks! I did let them sprinkle their own glitter on the glue, but I did the glue design myself. One girl wanted to try it, but it's a hard glue bottle to even squeeze the glue out, so I did it for her. The kids showed me where they wanted the fireworks, and then they did the glitter. And, voila! A great decoration for our room. Glitter always makes me happy :)


Happy New Year!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment