Thursday, July 19, 2012

Daily 5 Chapter 4


Beginning Read to Self

I think that a form of Read to Self could be implemented in my pre-K class as early as October or November. I already have the routine of quiet reading time after lunch each day, even with children who are still four. Most children are able to read silently and alone for at least ten minutes, and this is without teaching them the different ways to read or modeling all of the appropriate behaviors. I really think I would like to try this in October. In September, we will have a lot of other routines to master, but I think we could try this the second month of school. I really think that teaching them the different ways to read a book will boost their self-esteem and set a great atmosphere for the rest of the year. I really wouldn't want to wait until too late in the year to get started with this.

Children as Readers

I think that emphasizing the different ways to read a book will help many prekinders view themselves as readers. I would also take pictures of all children during Read to Self and make a poster, so that they can literally see themselves as readers. I will also be sure to give them a lot of encouragement and send notes home to parents about how well they have done. I think it is really important at this emergent literacy stage that children start to see themselves as readers. We want them to think "I CAN!"

Launching Reading to Self in Pre-K

To me, the routines described by the sisters on launching Reading to Self seem like they would work fairly well in Pre-K even without alterations. I am not sure about the modeling of incorrect behaviors, however. I feel that my prekinders get more out of modeling the correct way. If one child models the incorrect way, they will ALL want to do it. I think it would be best for me to choose those who want attention to simply show us the right way. This could be different depending on the children in the class, however.  The main difference to me is that I doubt I would work up to a 30 minute period of Read to Self. I will probably have a goal of 15 minutes and maybe push that to 20 minutes by the end of the year. I could be pleasantly surprised, though. Who knows!

Teaching Children the Importance of Read to Self

I think one great way is to talk about the joy of reading and be a model. We might also have children from older classes come and read to us occasionally. Seeing children just a little bit older, who can read, often excites the children about reading. Last spring we had a Reading Week at our school, during which we had a form of Drop Everything And Read. Little things like this can help children build a positive frame of reference when talking about books and reading. 

Checking In 

I think that checking in is a very important routine, especially with young children. It reinforces the importance and relevance of the Read to Self lesson and helps the children hold themselves accountable for their actions during the period. I would try doing it just as suggested in the book and then at the end of each session once we reach our stamina goal. I suppose I might be doing it a lot, actually, if I stop the session every time someone is off task. I was wondering how I could keep myself from managing the kids during Read to Self, but I guess if we gather together whenever it stops floating merrily along, I won't have to worry about the micro-managing tendencies. I am really excited to try this out!

Anticipated Problems

Well, if I imagine the class I had this year, I can anticipate problems from one or two students, who really have trouble being alone. However, I have faith that even they are able to work alone at least for a few minutes, as I have seen it before. I also think that when enough modeling is done by the teacher and children, there should be minimal problems.  

I am wondering about the book boxes, though. I certainly don't have the materials or space to do this, but I realize that in order for the Read to Self time to run smoothly, each child should have a set of books already prepared. I was thinking about maybe letting them choose one in the morning or some time before the session, and we can put it in their folder slots. Then I could add a teacher-selected book or two. Perhaps we can also try making some emergent readers throughout the year and keeping those in the slots for Read to Self time... hmmm, anyone else with ideas?

I also worry that we don't have a lot of space or comfortable places to sit during Read to Self. AND I was wondering if we need to show them where to sit every time or just until they get the hang of it? I will have to read others' posts and see what has been suggested!

No comments:

Post a Comment