Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Letters R, S, T, U, and V - Art!

We made red rectangles for letter Rr! I had a couple of different sponges and a rectangular container for printing rectangle shapes. A few of the kids got a bit carried away and ended up with a whole red paper - but hey, it's still a rectangle, right? For me, the experimenting is the most important part of these activities. Oh, and a bit of alphabet reinforcement :)





For the letter Ss, we used string and did some string painting. As I often do, I let the children pick the paint colors. I liked their choices :)






For the letter Tt, we first cut out the Tt templates (from dltk.com) and glued them onto colored paper. Then, I let the children use our box of colored paper scraps and cut out their own triangles to decorate the T's. Most children chose to decorate one "T" with paper triangles and drew their own triangles on the lowercase "t." That was something they started on their own and became a trend. I love it!



Later in the week, we did our alphabet art with tea bags! The end result is not so amazing, but it was a fun texture activity for the kids. We also smelled the tea bags. Yum!





Our beginning-of-the-week activity for Letter Uu was Underwear! Don't worry, I just made photocopies of underwear and undershirt clipart. The children cut out the underwear and glued it onto the letter Uu templates. Unfortunately, I didn't get pictures!

At the end of the week, the children made underwater pictures. We talked about the different things we can find underwater. The children drew with pastels and then painted over with blue watercolor. This is the only picture I have of that activity. I might be able to put some more on later.


For the letter Vv, I got the idea to do violets from this web site. I cut a sponge into two letter "v" shapes. The children could sponge paint V's onto their papers in purple and/or yellow. They then made violets with their thumbs and fingers. 








No comments:

Post a Comment