Monday, June 18, 2012

Daily 5 Chapter 1

I got the book Daily Five when I was in the States in April, and of course I haven't really looked at it. BUT finding this book study through this site  gave me motivation to read! And even more than that, to reflect, discuss, and network! Yay!

So, here goes, bearing in mind I teach 4-5 year olds mostly, so not quite K.

How do I teach new behaviors?

This is something I know I need to work on a LOT, and I am promising myself to be better next year. I usually ask the kids first, show the kids, tell the kids, and often ask for them to demonstrate. However, I do not do enough repetition and practice, AND I realize that I am not always clear enough. I have to be more organized myself so that I can get them to be organized!

How do I teach expectations?

This is another thing I need to work on! From next year, I will work harder to give children AND parents clear expectations about school, behavior, everything! These past few years I have just kind of assumed everyone knew what to do, since they have mostly been going to school for at least a year or two. However, it's important to be crystal clear, post lots of pictures around the room, and be a good example.

How do I monitor student behavior? Whole group? Small groups? Individuals?

I like the idea of self monitoring, and I would like to try more next year. I often get kids to help me, and they are often very well-behaved when one of them has the job of monitoring a small group, for example. I have an assistant, and we both keep our eyes and ears out of mischief. However, I hate to be the one complaining all the time, and I want my kids to start to take control of their own behavior and to WANT to be the best they can be!

What do I do when a student is not exhibiting desired behavior?

This is something else I am working on! In six years I still haven't found the perfect fit, and I would actually like to steer away from sticker charts, traffic lights, etc (all of which I have tried and none of which seem to make much difference in the long run). I think it's a great idea to have the student model the appropriate behavior. I guess I do this with small things such as how to enter/exit the room or walk down the hall. My classroom is a straight shot from the bathroom and it's really hard for some of my kids to resist just running down the straight shot into the room.

Whose classroom is it?

It's MINE! I really need to work on that. Even when I talk about how to treat the things in the class, I say that this book is mine or this one belongs to the library or these games belong to the school. I think it will be best when I start to talk about OUR things and OUR classroom and maybe it will help them feel more of an ownership and pride in keeping it tidy and keeping things in one piece :)

Locus of control?

While I have tried many sorts of organized rewards/charts/etc in the past, I have given it up (except for the occasional random sticker for awesomeness), and I do think it's important for kids to WANT to behave well and to have a sense of pride about how they behave. I start to see it from time to time. These 4 year olds are just starting to be big enough to really be independent and they usually feel so happy with themselves when they know they are doing their best, being responsible little students :)

Where are supplies stored?

Most supplies are within reach of the kids. We rarely use the stapler or tape, but when we do use tape, I get it out and let the kids who are interested use it. I am pretty good about letting those, who want and can, do things independently. Gotta be careful, though as this age is just experimenting a lot. I have some papers with the date stamped all over them :) Goes back to my problem with teaching procedures I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment